Alex in the snow

Alex in the snow

Saturday, August 30, 2008

We received a phone call in Mid-August that we could go a week early to pick up En Yang, so after lots of phone calls to airlines and hotel, we were to leave on August 23rd.

Day One

Sally from FEC picked us up at the Sheraton hotel in the morning to bring us to Chung Yi orphange. The ride was only about 15 minutes. By the way, the hotel was absolutely gorgeous and had lots of restaurants and other necessary amenities.

When we arrived, we saw En Yang for about 1 minute, said hello and then he was taken away to change his clothes and get freshened up. He looked very scared.

We were taken into a meeting room with a bunch of social workers. They presented us with lots of small photo books, CDs and collections of his art work. What a treasure! I began to cry when I looked at all of his baby and toddler photos knowing how much of his little life we already missed! The social workers looked through our papers and photos and asked some questions and then En Yang was brought to us to see a CD slideshow/photo presentation. What a beautiful job they did. We will have that CD to treasure, always. He then presented Jake and I with some gifts and then we went into the orphanage rooms to take a brief tour of the main area, kitchen and his bedroom. He was able to say goodbye to his friends and we were so sad to see him crying. He continued crying while posing for photos (the staff had him posing with everyone before he left). Finally, Sally asked me if we would like her to come with us back to the hotel and I thought it was a good idea. He cried in the cab all the way to the hotel (me too, my heart was breaking for him). When we reached the hotel, he sat in my lap and I rocked him and told him over and over that it would be alright. Then he popped up and said "Hungry", "Hamburger" so I called for room service and watched him devour his giant hamburger. Afterwards, we all layed down for a nap (Chung Yi gave me a schedule of his day which said he naps about 1 hour and 20 minutes every day). After he woke up, he and Jake began playing with some of the toys he brought and some of the toys we had, and he was happy all evening! For dinner, we had some cup of noodles and snacks. Right before bed, he began to cry again. I just sat with him and held him and he fell asleep shortly after!

No comments: