Alex in the snow

Alex in the snow

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Last Day in Taiwan

The last day in Taiwan was just our trip to the airport. We were driven by Danny (prearranged driver-highly recommend for anyone going to pick up their child) in his Mercedes to the airport. We had a 12 hour flight to San Francisco, a 3 hour layover to get through immigration and ready to board our plane. The first flight was uneventful but our seats were terrible. Three in a row but all in the middle toward the back of the plane. Everytime we got up, we had to ask people to move. The kids finally fell asleep but I cannot sleep when I am squished in like that, so I was quite miserable and exhausted. When awake, United Airlines has those little TV screens in the backs of the headrest so we all put headphones on and watched movies/tv shows. We had two meals and lots of beverages. They had their DS game systems and I had some books. They also had Color Wonder coloring books and some sticker books. They were terrrific. Our second flight, was a problem because all of our seats were not together. When I booked the flight, the rep. told me to just arrive early and maybe the ticket counterperson could switch us. It turned out that she really couldn't but she said that if I asked people on the plane, she is sure they would switch. A few minutes later, they started announcing that the flight was overbooked in coach and that if anyone wanted to be bumped or switch to business class using their points, they could do so. I could do neither so we waited. The next thing I knew, she called us up to the front desk and said Congratulations. I was completely puzzled until I looked at the tickets. She bumped us up for FREE TO BUSINESS CLASS!!!!!! I think they wanted to make room in coach for those who were being bumped and I had explained my situation that I didn't want to be seated away from my kids because they were so little and that En Yang being newly adopted and not speaking English, made him very insecure in a situation like that. I couldn't thank her enough. I felt like we won the lottery! On the plane, we had red carpet treatment. Giant leather chairs that reclined, personal DVD players, unlimited drinks when you wanted them, bread and butter, herb roasted chicken, garlic mashed pototoes, string beans and ice cream! We were all in heaven. After we ate, we all slept the last three hours of the flight. Amazing!

No comments: